A few kilometers to the south of Shikh Abdel-ElQurna lies the valley known today “Deir-Elmadina” , meaning “city convent ” because once upon a time it was inhabited by the Copts of Thebaid , One can see the ruins of the village built at the time of Amenophis I and inhabited by the workers who built and decorated the royal tombs of Thebes . Activities in this valley lasted five centuries , from 1550 to 1000 B.C . and involved stone -cutters , painters and sculptors who reached the necropolis each morning by means of a path that passed over the sleep hills around Deir-Elbahari .
They left their children and woman , who worked in the wheat and barley fields , at home . The workers loiled an eight-hour day for nine consecutive days and the ten day or rest was assigned to the decoration of their own tombs . The leans of this these known as the “servants of Truth square ” were directed by various superintendents and were divided in two groups depending on whether they worked on the right or left walls .
As workman on the royal tombs , these craftsmen were considered the holders of secrets and therefore made to dwell in a village surrounded by walls . Workmen’s houses were small and simple built alongside each other in dried brick their interiors were white washed . Generally speaking , They consisted of a tiny entrance , a reception hall , a second room and a kitchen . Sometimes but not often , they had a canteen and terrace . Nothing has remained of a probable decoration . On the west slope of the valley lies the necropolis . The tombs all consisted of a chapel and a small painted basement .
————————————————– ————————————————– ————
SENNEDJEM Tomb ………….
Sennedjem was a servant in truth square and official of the necropolis at the time of the XIX Dynasty perhaps , On account of the liveliness . and freshness of its decoration , it is the most beautiful tomb of the necropolis . The main room of the tomb is more or less intact andd is all that remains of the sepulcher , all the furniture contained therein is now on display at Cairo Museum .